Persephone Theatre is pleased to partner with Turning the Tide Bookstore to create book lists for our performances.
Lists will be curated by the Turning The Tide staff, to act as a supplement to what you see on our stage. They will help to expand your knowledge about the themes, history and information within our productions.
All the books on the list are available for purchase through the Turning the Tide website: turning.ca.
The following books are chosen for The Mountaintop by Katori Hall.
List curated by Tracey Mitchell.
- Pourin Down Rain: A Black Woman Claims Her Place in the Canadian West
by Cheryl Foggo
- Sword & Shield: The Revolutionary Lives of Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Jr.
by Peniel E Joseph
- Brothers in the Beloved Community: The Friendship of Thich Nhat Hanh and Martin Luther King Jr.
by Marc Andrus
- Julian Bond’s Time to Teach: A History of the Southern Civil Rights Movement
by Julian Bond, Pamela Horowitz, and Jeanne Theoharis
- Buses Are a Comin: Memoir of a Freedom Rider
by Charles Person
- The Three Mothers: How the Mothers of Martin Luther King, Jr, Malcolm X and James Baldwin Shaped a Nation
by Anna Malaika Tubbs
- Begin Again: James Baldwin’s America and Its Urgent Lessons for Our Own
by Eddie S. Glaude Jr.
- The Dead Are Arising: The Life of Malcolm X
by Les Payne & Tamara Payne
- Four Hundred Souls: A Community History of African America 1619 – 2019
Ed. Ibram X. Kendi & Keisha N. Blain
- How the Word is Passed: A Reckoning with the History of Slavery Across America
by Clint Smith
Contemporary Anti-Racism US & Canada:
- The Skin We’re In
by Desmond Cole
- Indigenous Writes: A Guide to First Nations, Metis and Inuit Issues in Canada
by Chelsea Vowel
- Structures of Indifference: An Indigenous Life and Death in a Canadian City
by Mary Jane Logan McCallum
- How to Be an Antiracist
by Ibram X Kendi
- Freedom is a Constant Struggle
by Angela Davis
- My Grandmother’s Hands: Racialized Trauma and the Pathway to Mending Our Hearts and Bodies
by Resmaa Menakem
- Mindful of Race: Transforming Racism from the Inside Out
by Ruth King
- How We Win: A Guide to Nonviolent Direct Action Campaigning
by George Lakey
- Righting Canada’s Wrongs Series
(includes books on The Sixties Scoop, Residential Schools, Africville, the LGBT Purge and more – new titles being added to this series regularly –)
- What is the Civil Rights Movement?
by Sherri L Smith, Hq Who & Tim Foley
- Martin Luther King Jr. – Little People Big Dreams Series
by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara & Mai Ly Degnan (ages 4-7)
- Rosa Parks – Little People Big Dreams Series
by Lisbeth Kaiser & Marta Antelo (ages 4-7)
- The Circle of Caring and Sharing
Theresa Corky Larsen-Jonasson & Jessika Von Innerebner & Allison Parker