48-hour Queermunity Theatre Race
10-minute Queer Play Festival – Where YOU create the play!
The year was 2022.
The month was June … Pride month.
Five teams discover …
A package of inspiration.
Over the next 48 adrenaline fuelled hours
They will create and perform …
An original 10-minute play –
Before a LIVE theatre audience!
In celebration of Pride, Persephone Theatre is proud to introduce the 48-hour Queermunity Theatre Race!
Do you crave the spotlight? Join us for this creative performance opportunity for everyone in the Saskatoon Queer community (2SLGBTQIA+ and their allies) who longs to be on stage!
Get your friends together and submit a team application by May 18. Selected teams will receive an inspiration package and have just 48 hours to create an original performance! Five teams will be chosen and announced on May 27.
Selected teams will join us on June 8, where each will receive their unique inspiration package and the countdown begins! The participants will have only 48 hours to create and rehearse their play.
The lights will go up on Persephone’s Backstage Stage at 8 p.m. on Saturday, June 11 in front of a live audience to unveil these five new plays, which celebrate our Queermunity and kick off Pride Week in Saskatoon!
HOW IT WORKS:
- Submit your team application below before/or on May 18, 2022.
- The Queermunity Selection Committee (representatives from OUTSaskatoon and Persephone Theatre) will choose up to five teams, to be announced May 27.
- Teams must be in attendance for the following:
- June 9, 5:30 p.m. – teams receive inspiration packages
- June 11, 12-5 p.m. – each team will receive 45 minutes for a technical rehearsal on this afternoon. Exact timing to be determined.
- June 11, 7:30 p.m. – arrival at the theatre to prep for show time!
- Teams will create, rehearse, and perform a 10-15 minute original play.
- Teams will receive a $250 honorarium to spend as they choose. For example, to pay each team member for their time; buy costumes, props, or food; donate to a Queer friendly organization.
- All team members must fully support and celebrate the 2SLGBTQIA+ community.
- Team members do not have to be professional performers in order to participate, but performers are welcome to apply.
- Team members can be 14+ years old. Any team member 18 and under would need guardian permission to take part.
- To ensure a safe and inclusive experience all participants will be asked to sign on to Persephone Theatre’s Anti-Discrimination policies prior to receiving their inspiration package. Read the policies here.
GENERAL ADMISSION TICKETS:
- $20, with a portion of ticket sales going to Saskatoon PRIDE Home.
To ensure a safe and inclusive experience for all selected participants, we ask that all team members familiarize themselves with Persephone Theatre’s Anti-Discrimination policies prior to receiving their inspiration package. Read the policies here.