Persephone Patron PRIDE Project – Looking For Community Collaborators
Persephone Theatre wants to deck out the Tibor Memorial Lobby for Pride month in June with beautiful, meaningful, hand crafted, sustainable Pride banners, which we will display every year. We hope the project will continue to grow each year until our giant windows are full!
- This a community collaboration for anyone – from youth and those learning new skills, to hobbyists wanting to share their skill, artists willing to volunteer their time or retirees who enjoy crafting. There is no compensation for participation, but all participants will be recognized, with their names listed in the Persephone lobby with the flags and on the Persephone website.
- Make a finished piece in your textile art of choice (no paint as we will fold and store banners), which “reads” in your chosen/assigned colour. For example, if you are making a red flag, the piece may have other colours incorporated into it, but should “read” as red.
- 12″ h x 6″ w finished measurement and pressed on the bottom and sides; top may be left open as we will finish with bias tape.
- Top 1/2” will be covered by the bias tape. The back may be plain but must be finished in the chosen colour (hanging in window so displayed from both sides. Pieces may be a single piece of cloth with edges folded over and stitched as finish (shibori, tie dye) or two pieces sewn and flipped (quilting, embroidery); batting is optional.
Donated pieces will be sewn together on bias tape to create a Pride rainbow and hung as a banner!
- Traditional Pride Flag: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple
- Progress Pride Flag: White, Pastel Pink, Pastel Blue, Brown, Black, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple.
- Trans Pride Flag: White, Pastel Pink, Pastel Blue
- There are many more flags; we will start with these and continue to grow the display.
- To learn more about Pride Flags and what they represent, check out this website: https://www.health.com/mind-body/different-pride-flags-what-they-represent
- You may choose your colour to express your own identity or to show your support for people you care about (or to use up your stash) or we can assign you a colour we need.
- Wanna make more than one? Yeah! Do it!
- Know someone who would like to participate? Please share this post with them.
Please sign and date your work on the back bottom right corner with a permanent marker.
Deadline to join: May 1, 2023.
Completed pieces need to be dropped at the theatre by May 20, 2023.
Visit the theatre in June and take a pic with your piece. Post your Persephone Patron Pride!
To register, please fill out this form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSct8uAt_alEzju8XCLjjLyJ7VWtNsLPbz9RSo0SfKDiGEIncQ/viewform