Start Date: September 2021
Location: Saskatoon, Sask., Treaty 6 Territory and homeland of the Métis
Persephone Theatre is seeking Artistic Leadership that propels us toward being a vital presence in the community. We define this as being a creative hub, a respectful and inclusive space that provides artists with opportunities for mentorship, training, and professional development. Persephone Theatre is determined to become a welcoming place that brings performing artists and audiences together in a manner that entertains, and promotes dialogue.
Like every theatre in the country, Persephone’s stage has been dark for the past year. Persephone has used this time to consult with the artistic community, facilitate staff and board working groups, undertake in-depth analyses, and rework policies and procedures to better fit what Persephone Theatre aspires to be. Now it is the time to rebuild and strengthen the Theatre company to become a supportive leader in our community and respond to the challenges of our time and the future.
Persephone Theatre is seeking to fill a 3-5-year renewable term Artistic Leadership position. Applicants interested in being at the forefront of one of Canada’s fastest-growing cultural communities are encouraged to apply.
Persephone Theatre owns a comprehensive theatre facility located on the bank of the beautiful South Saskatchewan River, in the culturally vibrant and economically thriving city of Saskatoon. This offers our artists and patrons an environment for inspiration and creativity. The building includes:
- Two theatres:
- The Rawlco Radio Hall (400 seats) used for Persephone Theatre programming and community rentals.
- The Backstage Stage (100 seats) predominately to be used as an affordable and accessible space by the theatre community.
- Two rehearsal halls
- Fully equipped construction shops, production facilities, classrooms, and offices
The new artistic leadership (team or individual) will be an accomplished theatre artist(s) (director, creator, playwright, designer, dramaturg, or actor, etc.) with a track record of being:
- collaborative and able to foster teamwork on the stage, in the community, and in the hallways;
- generous with their knowledge, their time, and with the resources of the theatre;
- equitable and genuinely inclusive of those who have not traditionally been involved in the theatre;
- courageous, with a willingness to learn and evolve;
- open minded with an ability to make and hold space for staff and artists to grow;
- an agent of change who can develop and articulate a clear artistic vision that considers the perspectives of artists, audiences and other members of the Saskatoon community;
- effective at building strong and meaningful connections with artists, audiences, staff, volunteers, community members, funders and donors;
- able to deliver on an artistic vision in partnership with a General Manager and in balance with the overall health of the Theatre;
- invested in developing new work, and engaging in arts and theatre conversations on a regional and sectoral level; and
- a collaborative leader(s) with a strong desire to transform theatre in the 21st century.
Compensation will include:
- Salary range: $60,000 – $90,000
- Wide range is intended to encourage applicants with diverse experience, and to enable the consideration of various leadership delivery models (individual, partnership, team, etc.)
- Additional benefits include group insurance, health, dental, life insurance, parking, and some coverage for moving expenses.
We welcome applications from all qualified individuals and/or teams and encourage applications from members of racialized groups/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities.
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com . If you are unable to apply through email, please contact us at 306-384-2126 ext. 244 as our theatre is not regularly open at this time.
We thank all who apply for the position which will remain open until filled. Interviews will begin mid-June.
To bring performing artists and audiences together to enrich the human experience through the power of theatre.
To enrich society by providing a supportive venue for artists and audiences to engage in theatre that inspires and reflects the diversity of our community throughout our stages, seats, and hallways.
Persephone Theatre is a professional regional theatre company with a commitment to the production of widely diversified plays from the national and international repertoire. It serves the city of Saskatoon and district, as well as the province of Saskatchewan. The objective of Persephone Theatre is to provide a variety of professional theatre of the highest professional quality within its service area, employing local and national talent.
1. We value the art:
- Producing and presenting work that is inspiring, relevant, bold, and entertaining
- Attaining high professional standards of artistic expression and process
- Providing an environment that supports innovation and agility
2. We value stakeholder experiences:
- Providing good value, excellent service, and respect for patrons, artists, renters, employees and volunteers
- Providing employees with challenging work in a respectful and supportive environment
3. We value community and Persephone’s place in it:
- Engaging, serving, challenging, and exploring the diversity of our community and its stories (the City, the Province, and the Nation) through quality theatre experiences
- Bringing theatre to our Youth and our Youth to the theatre as they expand their minds and ways of expression
- Exploring and creating meaningful stories through the inclusion of new works
- Collaborating with artists, arts organizations, community partners, and businesses to enrich cultural experiences in our communities
- Respecting the trust funders have placed in us to grow, mentor, and enrich the theatre ecology in our region
- Providing stewardship of the Remai Arts Centre facility as a critical performing arts venue for artistic organizations and a hub of activity in the River Landing area
- Facilitating accessibility of our offerings for patrons of all ages, cultural backgrounds, economic groups, and physical ability
4. We value effective governance, leadership, and administrative practices that help Persephone Theatre continue its mission and pursue its vision.
Our mission and vision are currently undergoing revision and should be considered in-progress.